We are pleased to share that Chambers USA has once again named McDermott Health the only firm to receive a Band 1 national ranking in health care. This year’s Band 1 placement marks 10 consecutive years of securing a top national ranking in this prestigious law firm directory, and the ninth year that we have
Years at Firm: 4
What is your favorite part about practicing health care law at McDermott?
Definitely our people. I love the depth and breadth of expertise among my colleagues. We have highly experienced lawyers in just about every health care niche you can think of and this allows us…
In a new Governing Health vidcast, McDermott partner Michael Peregrine breaks down why you may need to revamp your conflicts of interest procedures, and how the general counsel and the compliance officer can work together to protect the health system from conflicts-related risks.
Many health systems’ conflict of interest policies and protocols haven’t been updated since the 1990s. While these approaches—based on duty of loyalty and simple concepts of financial interests—may have fit the bill in the past, today’s rapidly shifting environment poses new governance-related challenges that have direct implications for the process by which conflicts of interest are identified, disclosed and addressed. These challenges include:
- Diversification of health system portfolios, featuring investments in a broadening scope of products, services and enterprises, particularly in the case of innovative technology and delivery of care platforms
- Growing officer and director interest in investing alongside their health system
- Swift consolidation of the inpatient health care provider market and increasing ambiguity in identifying competitors
- Sharpening focus on material bias arising from personal relationships (intra-board or external)
- Non-traditional market participants, including high-tech market disrupters and powerful new organizations formed by vertical or horizontal combination
- State regulators’ attention and reaction to media reports regarding high-profile instances of conflicts of interest
- The presence of constituent directors on corporate and joint venture boards
- New case law focusing on how personal interests may affect leadership decisions
At a time when health care organizations are facing greater financial and reputational costs than ever before, more than 150 health care industry leaders, legal and compliance executives, and investors gathered for McDermott’s Health Care Litigation, Compliance & Investigations Forum at the Ritz-Carlton in Chicago to discuss strategies for proactively managing and effectively responding to…
The latest episode of the Governing Health podcast gets back to basics: the board’s responsibility for monitoring the impact of key economic trends and indicators. McDermott partner Michael Peregrine welcomes special guest John Challenger, CEO of executive outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas, who recently appeared on the Today Show and is one of the…
McDermott recently launched the second episode of its special edition podcast providing an in-depth discussion of the interplay between State Attorneys General enforcement authority and nonprofit Board of Directors responsibility in the governance and operation of health systems. This special edition of the Governing Health podcast series welcomed four prominent State Attorneys General (AGs) to…
McDermott recently launched a special edition podcast providing an in-depth discussion of the interplay between State Attorneys General enforcement authority and nonprofit Board of Directors responsibility in the governance and operation of health systems. This special edition of the Governing Health…
Since the announcement in late January that Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and JPMorgan were teaming up to “disrupt health care,” the intersection of health and business has been top of mind for many. As we wait with bated breath to see just how (or if) they revolutionize the industry, the conversation continues about other potential disruptors and trends on the health care horizon.
Earlier this month, McDermott Will & Emery hosted the 2018 Health Care Services Private Equity Symposium, where participants explored the various business and legal perspectives impacting the health care field. I had the pleasure of moderating a panel discussion at the event entitled “Hot or Not? A Health Care Sector Analysis,” where I joined a handful of experienced investment minds to explore key trends in health care private equity in 2018.…